ConsentTools is supported by the Bioethics Research Center at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO. It was developed as part of a research study funded by the National Institute on Aging [1 R01 AG058254-01; PI James DuBois]. The aim of the study was to help clinical research professionals understand and adopt three evidence-informed practices for consent in clinical trials.
You are free to use or share ConsentTools materials for non-commercial purposes, with appropriate credit to ConsentTools and the Bioethics Research Center. For more information, please visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
The following papers share key findings from the study. We have additional papers under review that we will post when published.
- Mozersky, J., Wroblewski, M. P., Solomon, E. D., & DuBois, J. M. (2020). How are US institutions implementing the new key information requirement?. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, 4(4), 365-369. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33244420/
- Solomon, E. D., Mozersky, J., Baldwin, K., Wroblewski, M. P., Parsons, M. V., Goodman, M., & DuBois, J. M. (2021). Perceived barriers to assessing understanding and appreciation of informed consent in clinical trials: A mixed-method study. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, 5(1). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34589234/
- Solomon, E. D., Mozersky, J., Wroblewski, M. P., Baldwin, K., Parsons, M. V., Goodman, M., & DuBois, J. M. (2022). Understanding the use of optimal formatting and plain language when presenting key information in clinical trials. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 17(1-2), 177-192. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34410175/
- Mozersky, J., Solomon, E. D., Baldwin, K., Wroblewski, M. P., Parsons, M. V., Goodman, M., & DuBois, J. M. (2023). Barriers to using Legally Authorized Representatives in clinical research with older adults. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease Reports, 7(1), 135-149. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36891257/
- Solomon, E. D., Mozersky, J., Goodman, M., Parsons, M. V., Baldwin, K., Friedrich, A. B., Harris, J. K., & DuBois, J. M. (2023). A randomized implementation trial to increase adoption of evidence-informed consent practices. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, 7(1). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36721403/
James DuBois, DSC, PhD, Principal Investigator
Director, Bioethics Research Center; Steven J. Bander Professor of Medical Ethics and Professionalism; Professor of Psychology, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Virginia Buckles, PhD, Co-Investigator
Recently retired from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis where she served as Executive Director of the Knight Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center, Assistant Director of the Memory Diagnostic Center, and Professor of Neurology. She is also the chair of the project’s Advisory Board.
Melody Goodman, PhD, Co-Investigator
Associate Dean for Research, Associate Professor of Biostatistics, School of Global Public Health, New York University
Jenine Harris, PhD, Co-Investigator
Associate Professor of Public Health, Washington University in St. Louis
Michelle Jenkerson, BS, RN, RRT, CCRC, Co-Investigator
Associate Director of Clinical Research, Center for Clinical Studies; Research Participant Advocate, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Also a member of the project’s Advisory Board.
Jessica Mozersky, PhD, Co-Investigator
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Bioethics Research Center, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
Erin Solomon, PhD, Staff Scientist and Project Manager
Kari Baldwin, MSW, Clinical Research Coordinator II
Patti Curran, BFA, Graphic Designer
Meredith Parsons, BS, CHES, Senior Public Health Research Technician
Melissa Fink, MA, CIP, Director of IRB Operations, Castle Institutional Review Board
Jason Karlawish, MD, Professor of Medicine, Medical Ethics and Health Policy, and Neurology, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Co-Director of the Penn Memory Center
Carolynn Thomas Jones, DNP, MSPH, CRN-BC, FAAN Clinical Professor, Director, Master of Clinical Research, Co-Director of Workforce Development, CCTS; The Ohio State University.
Robert Kolb, RN, MS, CCRC, Assistant Director Clinical Research, University of Florida
Kiran Matsko, Esq., MBE, IRB member, University of Pennsylvania
John Morris, MD, Harvey A and Dorismae Hacker Friedman Distinguished Professor of Neurology; Director, Knight Alzheimer Disease Research Center; and Director, Memory and Aging Project, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Wendy Sigurdson, BSc, MS, RN, Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Joy Snider, MD, PhD, Professor of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Additionally, several clinical trial research participants and individuals who serve as legally authorized representatives for research participants are members of our advisory board.
For help or more information, please contact our team at ConsentTools@wustl.edu.